PDA

View Full Version : oil all the way up my dipstick

bass1.9d
01-02-2008, 04:52 PM
i have no idea why theres oil all the way to the top of the dipstick i have no idea how mutch oil i have in the car at the moment??

Springs
01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
pull the dipstick out.. clean it.. put it back it.. take it out again.. read it, clean it and put it back in..

chuggin turbo
01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
you have't got the engine running when you did it did you

KrisB
01-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah, you need to clean it a few times to get a good reading :tup:

syphon
01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I seem to get same problem, Think its just problem with me putting dipstick in straight as being the twisty shape its hard.:( Either that or my oil needs changing.

tom555tom
02-02-2008, 09:40 AM
sounds like its being done whilst car running or only just been switched off needs to be done when its near enough cold

Monty3
02-02-2008, 02:40 PM
If you have the dipstick that is part of the oil filler cap, then it can be a nightmare to get an accurate reading

syphon
02-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Yer thats what i got, Its pain in the arse because if you dont put in straight it messes up the reading. Hard to get right.

karashi
03-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Engine needs to be off for a good 5 / 10 minutes, pull dipstick out, clean it, put back in, pull out, repeat as neccessary, read.

Saabstudent
03-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Bringing this one back from the dead (didn't think there was much point in making a new one)...

Bought the girlfriend a 306 DT phase 1 last weekend. Anyway, we too have oil all the way up the dipstick. Also the oil is very black and thick. Now i have no real experience of oil burners, but i'm sure the oil isn't meant to look like that? When cleaning an re-checking it would also appear there is very little (read almost none) oil in it. I will try checking again when i get home from work tonight and the car has had 10 mins to let all the old oil settle etc but i can't help but feel very concerned about the lack of obvious lubrication in the thing.

The car is not a dog, and has recently had 300 spent on various bits by the previous owner, so its not been totally neglected. Though he did say he was not mechanically minded. There are no funny noises (well apart from sounding like a tractor) and it pulls nice and hard and smooth. Small burst of black smoke on start-up like usual but thats it.

Anyone got any advice or calming reassuring words?! Please...

Think i will go to Tesco tonight (24hrs you see and i'm not back from work until at least 8pm) and "top it up" anyway.

Thanks,
G

Adam
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
hi first note....dont even think about using that car until you have more oil in it!!

also the oil in DT turns black and thick within weeks, that is normal.

have a look under the car for oil marks or on the ground where the car sits (common, but look for wet patches, fresh etc) you may have a leak somewhere. in particular around the sump, oil filter, turbo and cam belt cover.

when was it last serviced?...sound to me like it needs one, or at least a good look over, low oil is a big sign of neglect, it should be checked and topped up every week.

but good luck with the car, is a lovely little drive

Saabstudent
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (adam001 @ Mar 3 2008, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=748991)</div>
hi first note....dont even think about using that car until you have more oil in it!!

also the oil in DT turns black and thick within weeks, that is normal.

have a look under the car for oil marks or on the ground where the car sits (common, but look for wet patches, fresh etc) you may have a leak somewhere. in particular around the sump, oil filter, turbo and cam belt cover.

when was it last serviced?...sound to me like it needs one, or at least a good look over, low oil is a big sign of neglect, it should be checked and topped up every week.

but good luck with the car, is a lovely little drive[/b]

Don&#39;t worry the cars not being driven until i get some oil in it. Seems to be two recommended here - 5w40 and 15w40 - any ideas on that one?

Do i take it that as diesel engines operate at such high pressure, oil naturally goes up the dipstick when being used?

I had always planned on oil, filter and of course possible water pump when it goes in for its cambelt replacement. I know what you mean about neglect due to oil issue, but it&#39;s had too much spent on it and to be truly neglected i feel. For example the rad is clearly quite new. Think its just the prev owner not really knowing what to do.

And don&#39;t worry i will religiously check the oil on it - i do it with my classic Saab every week anyway. (thats what made me worry about the blackness - sign to change in the Saab)

G

Springs
03-03-2008, 04:33 PM
i tend to use 10w-40

Saabstudent
03-03-2008, 04:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Springs @ Mar 3 2008, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=749074)</div>
i tend to use 10w-40[/b]

Somewhere in the middle eh - makes sense...

G

Adam
03-03-2008, 05:29 PM
i use the best 10-40 i can find, currently diesel castrol magnetec and replace it every 4-5k miles and always fit a champion oil filter

Stealth
03-03-2008, 05:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (adam001 @ Mar 3 2008, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=748991)</div>
also the oil in DT turns black and thick within weeks, that is normal.[/b]

In a matter of hours in most XUD&#39;s :laugh: