Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Chris Knott Insurance 3

Thread: rear axle

Default rear axle

I have 99 peugeot 306 1.9d dw8 with drum brakes..

I had the rear axle refurbished once , but the ****ers didnt do good job...

i want to buy another one used and fix it up, when time comes so i can just swap it in.

I was wondering if i can swap some with heavier bars.. like vts or gt6 rear end axle, and what mods i need to do..

any refurbishhed units cheap, or is it cheaper for me to do it on my own..

what concerns me is buying a scrap one and not being able to repair it, since i read some are far gone to be rebuildable.

anyone explain to me what goes on these , that I need to watch for at junkyard or wreckers.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm482 View Post
    I have 99 peugeot 306 1.9d dw8 with drum brakes..

I had the rear axle refurbished once , but the ****ers didnt do good job...

i want to buy another one used and fix it up, when time comes so i can just swap it in.

I was wondering if i can swap some with heavier bars.. like vts or gt6 rear end axle, and what mods i need to do..

any refurbishhed units cheap, or is it cheaper for me to do it on my own..

what concerns me is buying a scrap one and not being able to repair it, since i read some are far gone to be rebuildable.

anyone explain to me what goes on these , that I need to watch for at junkyard or wreckers.
    Been a bit quiet here, but here goes.

The torsion bars can be swapped over between 306, Xsara and ZX. All share the same axle design. About the axle and what fails on it: the axle tube itself is hollow, with lip seals at each end. Inside the tube are two needle bearing races, one on the axles opening and one about 25cm in. The trailing arm has a shaft which acts as a surface for the needle bearings to roll on. The seals on the axle tube fail on the long run and let salt water and dirt inside. These two quickly destroy the bearing near the opening of the axle tube. Once this bearing is destroyed the trailing arm shaft is only rolling on the bearing inside so you will feel some play when grabbing the wheel and trying to move it around. This small play start to destroy the inner bearing also in co-operation with the salt water slowly making it's way down there.

The axle tube very rarely goes beyond repair. All the parts that wear can be replaced (both bearing races and the seals) and the axle would have to be totally knackered for it to be in that state where you cannot replace the bearings. The trailing arm shaft is another thing. It wears and has to be immaculate to be re-used. After cleaning up all the grease it should be inspected. You will likely find some dark spots where the bearings were. If you can feel any kind of imperfection there with your finger nail then the shaft has to be replaced. It can be pressed out from the trailing arm and new ones are still available. There is also a stainless steel collar on the trailing arm which acts as a surface for the seal on the axle tube. This will be replaced also when changing the shaft.

This is just some more in-depth information about the axle to help you understand. You would also have to dismantle the axle to pieces first (remove the anti-roll bar from inside the tube, remove shocks, torsion bars and so on).

So if buying a 2nd hand axle you will have to rely on the information that was given to you. The outside doesn't tell you anything, it has to taken apart to tell the condition. And what is even worse is that with the outer bearing detoriated, you can still use the axle for quite a long time before the inner bearing fails. It makes it hard for both sellers and buyers to tell if the axle is ok or not if it hasn't been taken apart in a while..

The good thing is that the trailing arm and the axle tube are pretty much forever and you can buy the spare parts for a rebuild for around 90-130 (trailing arm shafts, bearings and seals)
    now rolling with: 306 S16 '94 | 605 SV24 '91 | 2x 405 Mi16 '89 | Audi TT 3.2 Quattro '07 | Audi A6 Avant 2.7 Biturbo Quattro '02 | VW Caravelle T3 1.9TD '87 | Mazda 929 3.0 V6 '87 | Chrysler Grand Voyager V6 3.3 '97
    ex-pugs: 405 T16 | 3x405 SRi | 405 Mi16x4 | 505 GTI | 205 1.9 GTi | 206 RC/GTi180

Having rebuilt once before I can tell you its much easier to buy one from IM axles, you can get a gti6 one from them for the same price as any other model, last time I checked they were 180 inc VAT.

The cost of a rebuild kit and the time and effort involved just doesnt justify rebuilding one yourself in my eyes.

PugLee
    Every good peugeot mechanic has a sledgehammer!