Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Chris Knott Insurance 3
    Paid Member

Default Hdi Engine Management light on starting problem.

Hi.

I am sure this is post #24345....... regarding starting and immobiliser problems that the Hdi's experience. I have reads lots on the web already.

I have a Hdi estate with 119k on the clock. Great car - I love it.

Has never let me down in the last year of ownership and I have put around 17K miles on it in that time.

Recently on my trip home the car started cutting out. After a few minutes it restarted. I managed to limp back to work and borrowed a vehicle to get home.

With some research and some fault finding using Delphi diagnostics, I replaced the FPR and lift pump in the tank. Everything was fine and I managed to get the car home some 40 miles with no problems.

The next day the cutting out started again and over the last few weeks I have systematically cleaned every earth and disconnected connectors to try and rule out corrosion on the contacts. I have checked continuity over most sensors going to the ECU. The ECU is a 3 plug version and that is one of the problems I have.

I have replaced the brown double relay, I have power across the inertia switch. I have also bridged terminals 4 and 8 which gets the lift pump running nicely, ruling out poor wiring to the lift pump.

I have the engine management permanently on now and believed that it was the immobiliser. I have a Chinese copy of PP2000 and have interrogated the CPH module only to find that the ECU does not reply. When I turn on the ignition, the lift pump does not work.

I had a spare ECU immo removed in the hope that I could bypass the CPH and get the car running. HDI Tuning removed the immo and remapped the ECU. I connected this, but still the car will not run and the EML light is permanently on. I would like to check continuity between the CPH and the ECU. My problem is that I do not have the correct pinouts for the 3 plug ECU Bosch 562. I also cannot identify the wiring between the CPH and ECU by colour or code on the wire. I know they are 820-822.

Does anyone have any ideas where my problem could lie, or do they have a correct pinout for the 3 plug ECU and the black and yellow connectors on the CPH.

Any help is much appreciated. I really want to keep this old girl on the road.

Thanks

Frank

Paid Member

Default Update

Right - found the wiring between yellow CPH plug and ECU. I have good continuity. I was hoping that this was the problem.

Not sure where to look next.

Also have an issue with unlocked ECU. Codes cannot be cleared by PP2000 or DS150. I have anti start, clutch and MAF errors.

Any suggestions?

My HDi gave me starting issues because the battery wasn't cranking fast enough. It would eventually start on the 3rd turn, but I initially thought it was the immobiliser.

I'm sure there was a 3 pin diag somewhere. Sadly not had a 306 for a while now and not sure where.

Edit: I must have found them somewhere. I'll try on my pc at home.
    https://www.pug306.net/forum/threads...ht=ecu+diagram
    Bork Pictures Project Alloys HDi 170bhp @ 3450RPM, 284.5ft-lbs @ 2900RPM -